Summer camp season was largely wiped-out last summer, but this year camps are expected to be wide open for in-person activities in many states. That is, provided steps are taken to minimize the possibility of spreading COVID-19.
According to the American Camp Association (ACA), more than 5,000-day camps and 7,000 overnight camps are running across the country every year. Many church and school-based summer camps operate annually as well.
Guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention indicates day and overnight camps should mirror current recommendations for K-12 schools, including staggered arrival and drop-off times to limit contact between groups.
How AfterSchool21 helps camp staff and campers
AfterSchool21 helps mitigate in-person transmission of COVID-19 without slowing down pick-up and drop-off operations by offering new user-friendly, mobile drop-off/sign-in and sign-out functionality.
A core component of the pick-up and drop-off routine is the “sign-in” and “sign-out” process, which is where the most risk to a camp’s staff occurs because it involves face-to-face interactions throughout the day. Parents can initiate the“sign-in” and “sign-out” process on their smartphones without coming into close contact with camp staff.
With mobile and contactless sign-in/sign-out, centers can:
- Create a QR code that any parent can scan and initiate the sign in/out process and any mobile device
- Track the arrival time and signature time for all pick-ups and drop-offs
- Provide the camp staff with the name and signature of the authorized person picking up or dropping off a camper
- Securely store an image of the signature provided
- Instantly create attendance logs for participants when they are dropped off or picked up (if attendance is not already added by program staff)
- Charge accurate late pick-up fees by automatically creating fees if a student is signed out after the scheduled end time of the program (for fee-based sites)
- Ensure the person picking up the child is an approved contact
- Automatically store the name of the person who completes the pick-up
- Provide pick-up identify information easily in participant's attendance report
Many variables contribute to the success of your summer program. A safe and supervised environment will provide parents with peace of mind.
Contact a team member to learn more about mobile sign-in/sign-out and how AS21 can help programs reach their goals while making reporting requirements less onerous.