The Cayen AfterSchool21 Program Data Management Software team are joining with the National AfterSchool Association (NAA) to celebrate the professionals that are at the heart of after-school programs during “Afterschool Professionals Appreciation Week” April 23-27, 2018.
“We believe After-school professionals make a difference in the lives of young people,” said Joe Cayen, founder of AfterSchool21 and Cayen Systems. “We encourage everyone to join us this week in thanking the after-school professionals in their lives.”
Why is it Important to Recognize After-School Professionals?
An estimated 10.2 million children participate in after-school programs each year. Today, after-school programs are viewed as much more than just childcare. They are widely credited as the way to enhance education in STEM, literacy, the arts, social and emotional learning, health and wellness, and more. With that demand comes increased responsibility on the estimated 850,000 of professionals who are making a difference in the lives of our children.
What is After-School Professionals Appreciation Week?
After-school Professionals Appreciation Week is a joint effort of community partners, after-school programs, youth and child care workers, and individuals who have committed to dedicating time to recognize and appreciate those who work with youth during out-of-school hours. The week is marked by celebrations and public relations efforts to encourage people to thank after-school professionals serving children in programs and organizations across the nation.
Who is an After-School Professional?
An After-school Professional is someone who works with children and youth in diverse school and community-based settings to provide a wide variety of extended learning opportunities and care during out-of-school hours. Currently, there are an estimated 850,000 after-school professionals in the US.
How Can I Thank an After-school Professional?
- Declare on social media: I appreciate the After-school Professionals who make a difference in the lives of young people: #heartofafterschool
- Give a hand-written card from you and/or your child to the after-school professional in your life.
- Send an email to an after-school professional’s supervisor describing why that person is appreciated.
- Help your local programs in their fundraising efforts by sending a letter to your senator or congressman expressing your support of after-school programs in your community, or donate time and resources to local programs.
- Donate simple supplies like paper, crayons, or glue to your local after-school programs. Even common household items like egg-cartons can help educators create fun and engaging learning experiences for students.
For more information about After-school Professionals Appreciation Week visit: http://www.heartofafterschool.com